" 'cause I am down on my knees and waiting for something beautiful"



Friday, September 24, 2010

Pour Out

This week, as part of my church's Bible reading plan, I read the book of Joel. I had never read that book, or ever really thought much about it. Did you know it's all about a plague of locusts? Lots of imagery of 'the large and mighty army' of locusts. Ewwww.

Even though we don't experience plagues nowadays, there is always something to learn from the Word. What I love is that always admist destruction and judgment comes God's mercy and grace. Here's a verse from Joel that got me thinking (it's 2:28, NIV):

"And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people."

Pour out...I immediately remembered the story in John 12 when Mary pours out her very expense perfume on Jesus, annointing Him before His death. What an outrageous gift, and yet not equal to the lavish, excessive love and grace God pours out on us.

And yet, 'pour out' can become a trite phrase for some of us. As a student life group leader, we are encouraged to 'pour into these students,' to invest in their lives and their spiritual growth. Even though it's a phrase I hear often, it's such an accurate description.

Personally, I have experienced the most satisfaction and seen the most growth in others when I pour into them. I've relearned and relived the daily drama of high school, prayed for and with students, and eaten lots of Yoforia with them. As much as I love been poured into, feeling loved on and built up and pushed to grow, it does not compare to challenging and growing someone else....seeing them transformed.

But think about it...A waterfall pours into the next pool because it has so much water within itself. The waterfall has been fed by upstream. The pool, though smaller, goes on to pour water into other rivers, streams, and pools, bringing life and energy to others. A river does not grow tired from its purpose, but rather invigorated.

We were meant to be vessels of living water. We were meant to overflow and bubble over into others. But we were also meant to be in relationships that fill us.

How would the world be different if we lived this way, if we lived to pour into others?

Be relational. Live and give outrageously. Be transformed, and guide other to their own transformation.

Join me in trying...I bet we can change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment