" 'cause I am down on my knees and waiting for something beautiful"



Friday, July 29, 2011

Haiti Wheelchair 101

Many of you have heard about my upcoming trip to Haiti this fall as a medical missionary, working in a wheelchair seating clinic. My team consists of a team leader, 4 therapists (including myself), 4 mechanics, and a group administrator; we come from multiple states, churches, and professional backgrounds. This post is a little more technical and less spiritual, but important in explaining how I will be using the skills and knowledge God has given me to help these folks.

Before I went to school for physical therapy, I thought a wheelchair is a wheelchair is a wheelchair. I couldn't be farther from the truth.













(images from Quickie Wheelchairs)

Physical and occupational therapists receive training in how to measure people for the best fitting wheelchair for their body size, their injury, and their environment. Wheelchairs can be more or less supportive, depending on someone's posture and bony alignment, ultralightweight for people who will be propelling with their arms long term, or run on an external power source if the person has limited use of their arms. Other modifications can include adaptive communication technology, places to hold ventilators or oxygen tanks, and options for manual or power tilting.

An incorrectly fitted chair can cause a person to develop pressure ulcers (bed sores), overuse injuries, muscle or joint contractures (tightness), and worsening of abnormal muscle and bone alignment from the person's injury. Worst of all, if the person and family don't know how to use the wheelchair or the chair doesn't fit inside their home, having a wheelchair is pointless!

Our seating clinic will be distributing manual wheelchairs, which have been donated to Joni and Friends, refurbished through a prison ministry, and shipped to Haiti. When patients arrive at our clinic in Haiti, they will be greeted and loved on by local missionaries while they wait for an available seating team. The seating specialist (me) will evaluate the person to determine what modifications need to be made to the wheelchair for the person's optimal fit, independence, and safety. This is where our mechanics come in handy: they are more adept with allen wrenches and other tools than I am, and can very quickly and efficiently change the height of the wheelchair, move an axle, tighten footplates, etc. What a great time to build relationships with people as we work. After people are trained in the use of their wheelchair, they have opportunities to receive Bibles and additional one-on-on discipleship.

This kind of specialty medical clinic is rarely available in Haiti, where rates of amputation due to disease and injury from the earthquake are very high. Furthermore, the country is too poor to fix broken bones with casts or orthopaedic surgery - bones are allowed to heal in ways that do not allow people to support their weight on their feet and walk. Many of these people would be bed-bound or home-bound without a wheelchair, and wheelchairs are too expensive to obtain in Haiti without this kind of outreach.

As I have developed my skills as a physical therapist, I've learned to really enjoy working with patients on their seating system for their hospital stay and long-term options, if needed. I've also learned a few street-smart tricks that can really help, even if it makes my patient's wheelchair look a little funky in the short term :). I am excited to use my knowledge and skills for this adventure, although I know I will be working in less than ideal situations and with less than ideal materials and supplies. But...what a great opportunity to see God show up, use me, and continually teach me that life is more about relationships than material things.

Sorry for the technical post...but I wanted to share more about why this kind of outreach is so necessary, why our world needs physical and occupational therapists to serve in this way. I hope you all learned something!

I am still in need of financial partnership to cover the costs of my trip. Please pray about how you can partner with me financially or in prayer. Click here to donate online.

No comments:

Post a Comment