" 'cause I am down on my knees and waiting for something beautiful"



Sunday, June 24, 2012

Even the Rocks Cry Out

What a crazy season this has been...I haven't written much lately on my blog as I struggle with the challenges and trials of this season.  I'm trying to seek God in all things, but He seems farther away.  I know He hasn't moved but me as I learn to surrender myself daily to Him.  Here's a story that keeps my heart strong.
Have you ever heard of prayer triggers?  It's something my life group started doing, that is recommended by our pastor's wife in her new book I just read.  Basically, you pick a prayer request or a person on your prayer list, then assign an object to trigger or remind you to pray for them.  It sounds cheesy, but I have been praying more for a lot of people, and a lot more frequently, since I started trying it!


One of my prayer triggers, for one of the deepest, biggest prayers of my heart is...rocks.  I know, right?  But I'm developing a spiritual interest in rocks.  I chose rocks because I love the story of memorial stones in Joshua 4.  By choosing this prayer trigger, I remember that my God is able.  I remember that it's not about me, but about God getting glory in the process of answering this prayer.  I've started seeing lots of references to rocks/stones in Scripture, too..."even the stones cry out" in Luke 19 and the cry "O LORD, my rock and my redeemer" of Psalm 19.  Or a new favorite: "Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock" (Isaiah 26:4). 


And would believe it, rocks show up randomly in my life amidst the well-manicured lawns and roads of Charlotte!

A few weeks ago, I house sat for one of my dear friends from my old life group, taking care of their dogs, Dax (pictured rear) and Cuda (in front).  Cuda is the funniest dog I've ever met...he loves rocks.  He brings them into the house, hides them, chases them when you throw them in the yard.  When he brought me a rock, he'd jump up and down like this rock was the best toy he'd ever found.  Needless to say, I prayed a lot that week.

Driving down Providence Road towards Dax and Cuda's house one day I was just exhausted, spiritually low, and on the edge of a breakdown.  I saw a random rock on the side of the road amidst well-manicured green grass.

Just last weekend I visited my parents in Florida.  I was feeling so loved and well-cared for, but really spiritually low...longing for my prayer request to be filled, to see how God will work it to His glory.  My dad sat down at the kitchen table and announced there was a rock in his shoe (and there are not many rocks in Florida, let me tell you!).  I almost teared up, staring at that small rock on my parents' kitchen table.  What a reminder that God is faithful, and He will always be my rock!

To you, this may seem like a series of coincidental stories with me placing too much significance on random rocks.  To me, it is a series of events of God showing me, in ways my small brain can understand, to continue to pray, to be faithful, to wait. These random events give me courage of heart and spiritual strength for the road ahead, and I am so thankful that God knows how much I need this help right now.

"Wait for the LORD, be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!" // Psalm 27:14







No comments:

Post a Comment